Recent Water Damage Posts
Keep Your Water Heater up to Date
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Water Loss. Call now at (310) 822-7800
It is surprising how many water intrusions come from a water heater. Performing maintenance on your water heater once a year can save your home of flooding and extending the life of your water heater. Although the water heater is working all year long, we rarely perform maintenance on it. Here are a few tricks to maintain your water heater:
Step 1: Close valves
Step 2: test pressure release valve
Step 3: Drain Tank
Step 4: Get the anode rod replaced
Step 5: Open Valve
Here are a few signs that your water heater might is about to fail.
- A water heater that is more than 10 years can be due for replacement.
- If you see rusty water that can be a clear indication that your water heater might leak soon.
- Rumbling and noises can mean that there is sediment build up at the bottom of the tank that can eventually harden that can cause the tank from not working properly.
Although it may sound like a chore to maintain your water heater, it can end up saving you a lot of money.
Pack Out Services
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Pack Out Services. Call now at (310) 822-7800.
Dealing with a home disaster can be quite devastating. It becomes more overwhelming when you lose your personal belongings due to the damages of a fire or water loss. In an event of a water or fire loss, contents may be affected. With this, our content specialists will professionally inspect all contents that might have been affected. At times, some of the items may be identified to be “non-salvageable” or “total loss” which means that those items cannot be cleaned or restored. For proper water mitigation, mold remediation or fire restoration, these unaffected belongings need to be moved out of the home. SERVPRO of Mar Vista wants to ensure that your home and personal belongings are in good hands. We don’t only offer restoration services, we also help with any pack-outs that are needed in such events. Our trained pack-out technicians will take appropriate measures to minimize loss or damage of contents by carefully inventorying, packing, transporting, cleaning, storing, and delivering your belongings. With any emergency situation, SERVPRO of Mar Vista will be ready 24/7, 365. Our friendly team will be here, ready to assist you when needed. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista water damage. Call now at (310) 822-7800
The rainstorms are gone and the sun is now shining! Summer is officially here! Although the rain has gone, do not let your worries for water damages go with it. With this heat rising upon us, the use for the air conditioner has increased. SERVPRO of Mar Vista is here to remind you to not forget to change your air conditioner’s filter. The air filter is important to the smooth and proper function of an AC. The air filter’s purpose is to collect any dust or debris from the air pulling from the outside. With the buildup on a filter or just not having a filter within your AC system, can cause the drainpipe to clog. With the drainpipe being clogged it can cause the condensate water pan to overflow instead of draining the water through the pipeline to the outside. A dirty filter will also cause ice to form around the unit’s evaporator coils. The ice will then melt, causing water to drip from the AC. Water damages, such as your ceiling caving-in or even water puddles around your basement floor, will occur. At that point, even mold and mildew can grow within the unit due to the continual presence of water. So just a few tips, a single occupant with no pets should change their filter every 6 to 12 months. An average suburban home with no pets would be every 90 days. If you do have pets, you would want to make 60 days your mark. As for those with multiple pets and anyone with allergies, you would want to change your filter every 20 to 45 days. Remember, here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista our goal is to create a strong, healthy, and safe community. Our friendly staff is always ready to assist you 24/7. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.
Ways to Protect Your Home Against Flooding
SERVPRO of Mar Vista water extraction. Call now at (310) 822-7800
Home flooding can happen anywhere and at any time. According to FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) floods are the most common and most expensive natural disasters in the U.S and no state or territory is safe. Here are some ways to help prevent floods in your homes and businesses.
Fix leaks immediately.
- When it’s time to replace the roof, spend a few hundred dollars to more to install a rubber roof underlayment, a waterproof barrier that goes under the shingles and protects the roof from water interference.
- Safeguard in home electrical and climate systems. Raise switches, sockets and circuit breakers and writing at least a foot above the expected flood in your level in your area.
- Raise outdoor equipment. All fuel tanks, air-conditioning units, and generators should be raised above flood level.
- Close foundation cracks.
- Clear gutters and drains.
- Invest in a battery powered sump pump.
- Move expensive items to a safer location.
- Prevent sewer backup.
- Install French drains.
Prevent Water Damages to Your Home When Your on Vacation
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Water Damage. Call now at (310) 822-7800
If you are going on vacation it can be a good practice to follow these steps to make sure that your home is safe while you are laying out in the sun. We have gotten many jobs from families returning home from vacation only to find their entire home to be damaged and filled with mold. The problem can be stopped with a few easy steps.
Turn off the main water valve
- Turning off your main water line is an easy step that can go a long way. When the main water valve is shut no water can go into your home and cause a water intrusion.
Check the supply lines
- check all your supply lines and make sure that nothing is leaking. There is nothing worse than a water loss that could have been prevented with just a few minutes of inspecting your home.
Put your friend to work
- If you are expecting to be gone for a long period of time have a friend stop by to check on your home.
Different Water Damage Categories
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Water Damage. Call today at (310) 822-7800
- Category 1 Water – That which is clean at the releasing source and does not pose a hazard if consumed by humans. Category 1 water may become progressively contaminated as it mixes with soils on or within floor coverings or building assemblies (walls, decking, and sub-flooring). Time and temperature, which promote the growth and amplification of microorganisms in water can cause Category 1 water to degrade. Examples: burst water pipes, failed supply lines on appliances, vertically falling rainwater.
- Category 2 Water – That which begins with some degree of contamination and could cause sickness or discomfort if consumed by humans. As with Category 1 water, time and temperature can cause Category 2 water to become progressively more contaminated.
- Category 3 Water – That which is highly contaminated and could cause death or serious illness if consumed by humans. Examples: sewage, rising flood water from rivers and streams, ground surface water flowing horizontally into homes. There are two ways in which water enters a building as a result of wind storm damage.
Introducing You to Our Equipment
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Equipment. Call now at (310) 822-7800
Our water extractor is used to extract standing water. The extractor helps us greatly with removing out the water from solid surfaces which allows it to dry properly. This technique pulls out most of the water which can save the carpet from secondary damages and delamination.
This dehumidifier pulls out the moisture from the air and the affected materials and allows them to dry out. Our dehumidifiers have successfully dried out countless amounts of affected materials and have saved the homeowners and insurance companies thousands of dollars.
Similar to a dehumidifier, the desiccant takes in the air that contains moisture, dries the air, and puts back the drier air into the affected area. A desiccant is great to use in hard to dry areas like crawlspaces.
The air movers are commonly used to circulate the moisture particles in the room for the dehumidifier to take in. The air movers also help the dehumidifiers dry out the affected materials.
The air scrubber pulls in the air and filters some of mold spores, odor, debris, dust, and other airborne particles.
Floor Mat System:
The floor mat system is used to dry out hardwood flooring. We have not only saved flooring from buckling but also saved floors that already showed signs of slight damages.