New Year, New Tips!
With the ball drop being right around the corner, this is a great time to learn more tips and tricks to practice throughout the year to prevent damages to your home.
-Cook with caution and never leave any turned-on stoves unattended.
-Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen
-Clean out your dryer vent often and remove any lint after each load. This will also help your clothes dry faster!
-Hire an inspector. This will ensure that your house has a lower chance of catching on fire. You might save a lot of money and time by taking safety precautions.
Bursting Frozen pipes
-Always keep the heat on even if you are on vacation. Leaving your thermostat around 50 degrees Fahrenheit can prevent your pipes from freezing.
-Leave cabinet doors open to allow warm air to reach the pipes.
-Allow your faucet to drip a little during cold days to release the pressure.
-Dry out a wet area properly. If the damaged area is too large or in areas that cannot be easily accessible, you can find a professional to mitigate the damaged area.
-Add a dehumidifier to your house to remove extra moisture.
-As soon as you have found mold, call a professional to remediate the mold.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista can assist you with any of these damages. It is best to call a professional as soon as possible, to prevent the damage from increasing.
Be Ahead of the Game!
SERVPRO of Mar Vista
If in the event of having water damage in your home and it consists of clean water, there are few steps you can take to help with the start of the drying process.
- If safe, turn off the circuit breaker. If the standing water is over the electrical sockets on the floors or walls, do not touch the water. Once the power is off, unplug all electronics to avoid shock.
- Stop the water source. Locate where the cause of water damage is and try to stop or minimize the flow. If the leak is caused by a broken pipe, you will have to contact a plumber beforehand.
- Once you have stopped the water source, you will then want to contact SERVPRO of Mar Vista and your insurance company. If the damage by water is large you will, you will, of course, want to call as soon as you can.
- To help with the process of the claim, you can take pictures of the damages right away. Starting with the cause of loss and any areas or items that have been affected.
- While SERVPRO makes their way over, you can help by removing any light items or furniture from the affected area so that the technicians can have a faster start of cleaning and drying the area.
- To help decrease the amount of water, you can attempt to dry the flooring by mopping or blotting until the professionals arrive.
With any emergency situation, SERVPRO of Mar Vista will be ready 24/7, 365. Our friendly team will be here, ready to assist you when needed. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.