If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (310) 822-7800

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Exhaust Fan Tips!

8/31/2022 (Permalink)

Fire in Bathroom SERVPRO of Mar Vista fire clean up. Call today at (310) 822-7800

It is known that mold found in a bathroom, can at times be caused by poor ventilation. Taking consistent hot showers can cause damped walls. To avoid the growth of mold in the bathroom you want to be sure to properly let it air out after a shower. In this case, some bathrooms do not always have windows. This is where an exhaust fan comes in handy. It helps prevent steamed-up mirrors and of course damped walls. The exhaust fan does its part to prevent mold, although, it can also present a potential fire hazard if not cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. In some cases, an exhaust fan is thermally protected, allowing it to shut off when it begins to overheat. With precautious measures, you should still clean your exhaust fan twice a year. With the buildup of lint, the motor of the fan can overheat and ignite the lint itself, the plastic blades, or any wooden structure surrounding the fan. Below are a few tips to help with the prevention of an overheating exhaust fan.

  • Clean all bathroom exhaust fans twice a year.
  • Clean the exhaust fan by removing the fan cover and removing the lint from around the motor and all airflow areas.
  • Wash the cover in warm soaped water to remove lint. If there is any visible mold, you can add some bleach to the cleaning mixture. The cover must be completely dry before putting it back up.
  • If not easily accessible, or happen to have evidence of heat damage, the exhaust fan should be replaced with thermally protected units.
  • At times, people forget they are running and leave them on. Exhaust fans should only be used for brief periods of time. The best time to have it on would be during a shower. Turn off all fans once the shower has been completed.

SERVPRO of Mar Vista has recently helped with an unfortunate fire and water loss caused by the exhaust fan. The exhaust fan had gotten stuck and lit a fuse in the wiring causing a slight fire, which then triggered the water sprinkler system. The customer was very worried and concerned about her home and getting someone out there as soon as possible. We made sure to take great care of our customers. We insured them that we were here to help and take the matter into our own hands. With any emergency situation, SERVPRO of Mar Vista will be ready 24/7, 365. Our friendly team will be here, ready to assist you when needed. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.

Other News

View Recent Posts