Earthquake in a Commercial Building
Make a supply kit
- Make a supply kit that has food, water, first aid kid, batteries, flashlight, and a fire extinguisher.
- Secure the items that are hanging on the walls and ceiling to reduce falling objects that may lead into injuries.
- Have training sessions on what to do in case of an earthquake. Have a game plan and practice it.
Drop, Cover, and Hold On.
- Drop down to the floor. Hide under a surface that can protect your body. Hold on to the object as if your life depends on it.
Do NOT use the elevator.
- During an earthquake the elevator can apply its emergency breaks.
Stay inside until the shaking has stopped
- Running outside during an earthquake can be dangerous. Running during an earthquake increases the chances of falling objects that can cause you more harm.
Check your injuries
- Examine your body thoroughly to ensure that you have no injuries. Make it a priority to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Do not take your injuries lightly.
- Avoid going into any building that appears to be damaged.
- If the building you are in is damaged, leave the building and move away from it.