Ways to Protect Your Home Against Flooding
Home flooding can happen anywhere and at any time. According to FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) floods are the most common and most expensive natural disasters in the U.S and no state or territory is safe. Here are some ways to help prevent floods in your homes and businesses.
Fix leaks immediately.
- When it’s time to replace the roof, spend a few hundred dollars to more to install a rubber roof underlayment, a waterproof barrier that goes under the shingles and protects the roof from water interference.
- Safeguard in home electrical and climate systems. Raise switches, sockets and circuit breakers and writing at least a foot above the expected flood in your level in your area.
- Raise outdoor equipment. All fuel tanks, air-conditioning units, and generators should be raised above flood level.
- Close foundation cracks.
- Clear gutters and drains.
- Invest in a battery powered sump pump.
- Move expensive items to a safer location.
- Prevent sewer backup.
- Install French drains.