Archived Blog Posts
Pack Out Services
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Pack Out Services. Call now at (310) 822-7800.
Dealing with a home disaster can be quite devastating. It becomes more overwhelming when you lose your personal belongings due to the damages of a fire or water loss. In an event of a water or fire loss, contents may be affected. With this, our content specialists will professionally inspect all contents that might have been affected. At times, some of the items may be identified to be “non-salvageable” or “total loss” which means that those items cannot be cleaned or restored. For proper water mitigation, mold remediation or fire restoration, these unaffected belongings need to be moved out of the home. SERVPRO of Mar Vista wants to ensure that your home and personal belongings are in good hands. We don’t only offer restoration services, we also help with any pack-outs that are needed in such events. Our trained pack-out technicians will take appropriate measures to minimize loss or damage of contents by carefully inventorying, packing, transporting, cleaning, storing, and delivering your belongings. With any emergency situation, SERVPRO of Mar Vista will be ready 24/7, 365. Our friendly team will be here, ready to assist you when needed. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Mold Remediation. Call now at (310) 822-780
Getting ready for a vacation is exciting but can be very stressful at times. Being focused on packing and trying to be on time to the airport can cause you to forget your toothbrush, your phone or more importantly, turning off the sink or unplugging the hot iron. SERVPRO of Mar Vista has encountered many damages within the last few months that occurred while the tenant or homeowner was out of town on vacation. To enjoy a stress-free, fun vacation we advise that you take a few precautions before leaving your home.
- Check pipes, hoses, faucets, water heaters and bathrooms for any type of leak.
- Clear excess debris from gutters and downspouts to prevent water build up.
- To avoid electrical fires or power surges, unplug all unnecessary appliances.
- Check all the smoke detectors in your home to ensure that they are properly working.
Asking a friend or a family member to house sit while on vacation, is always a great option. You would have a faster response to an unfortunate event that could have possibly happened. Here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista, we want you to be able to enjoy your vacation and be able to come back to your home as you left it. Remember, with any emergency situation, SERVPRO of Mar Vista will be ready 24/7, 365. Our friendly team will be here, ready to assist you when needed. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.
How to Prepare for a Storm
SERVPRO of Mar Vista board up. Call now at (310) 822-7800
- Stock up on food, water, first aid kit, flashlights, batteries, portable phone chargers, toiletries, food, and medication for your pets. It is best to over-prepare for a storm than run out of supplies.
- Make a clear exit path in case of an emergency.
- Organize all your important paperwork in a waterproof bag or safe. Make sure that you are prepared for any damages to your important belongings.
- Bring in your outdoor furniture and contents. Move your contents into a shed or your garage.
- Make sure that the trees near your home are trimmed and maintained. Branches can snap during a storm and cause your home of thousands of dollars in damage.
- Have your roof inspected to make sure there is no damage. Even the smallest roof leak can cause your home a tremendous amount of damage.
- Have a professional board up your windows to prevent further damage and water to enter your house.
Maintaining Your Commercial Building
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Emergency Ready Profile. Call now at (310) 822-7800.
- Have frequent inspections. Have HVAC, roof, grounds, and interior inspection regularly. Upgrade your building with the recommendations from the inspectors. Up keeping your building may sound like a big investment. However, repairing damages that can have been prevented can cost much more.
- If any damage occurs to the building, make sure to properly fix them before the damage increase. Trying to cut costs and save money might sound like a good idea on paper. However, if the damages are not properly fixed you can easily spend much more in secondary damages.
- Make sure the building is ready for any disaster. Update the building regularly with ready to use emergency supplies that can save lives.
- Call us today to set up your Emergency Ready Profile. This allows you to create a profile with SERVPRO of Mar Vista and in an event of mold, fire, water damage disaster we immediately attend to the loss site and expedite the process.
Steps of a Water Mitigation In a Commercial Building
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Commercial Building. Call now at (310) 822-7800.
1. Extract all the standing water from the flooring. Since the carpet pad acts like a sponge and absorbs all the water, the carpet pad will be removed. After removing the carpet pad we will extract the water from the carpet and let our dehumidifier dry the carpet and save it from any damage. If any other floor types are affected we will place the appropriate equipment to attempt to dry in place.
2. Conduct moisture readings on all floors and rooms to make sure all areas that are affected are marked and get the appropriate treatment.
3. Place proper equipment to attempt to dry in place the affected walls, ceilings, and flooring.
4. If the affected materials do not dry out, demo would have to commence. It is important to treat all areas that are wet to make sure the mold does not form.
5. Once the cavities are open, the equipment will dry out any material that is holding on to moisture i.e., wood framing. The materials will need to reach the drying standard before the build back can commence.
6. Build back on all open cavities.
"Like it never even happened."
Ways to Prevent Mold in Your Home
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Mold Remediation. Call now at (310) 822-7800.
The first step would be identifying the problematic areas in your home and correct them. A hygienist can do an initial mold assessment and detected the spore counts and determine if there is an area that will require mold remediation. Most of the time mold grows in a sealed off area. The moisture and humidity in the sealed-off area create an easy environment for mold to grow. If your home has water damage make sure to call out a professional to mitigate the water properly to prevent mold growth. If an area has not dried out properly the mold can spread in all the areas that hold moisture. Here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista, we can do a visible mold inspection and advice if mold remediation is in need or not. We will then be to remediate the mold and mitigate the moisture to drastically decrease the chances of the mold growing back.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Tarp Up. Call now at (310) 822-7800.
Do not wait until the storm passes to take care of your roof leak and the damage. Believe it or not, one of the most common causes of water damage comes from roof leaks during a rainstorm. SERVPRO of Mar Vista has trained technicians that can lay out a roof tarp and prevent the interior of your home from further damages. A roof tarp is the best way to control the situation until the roof has been fixed. The common damages from a roof leak are affected ceilings, walls, floors, and contents. Leaving the affected untreated properly can cause damages and mold growth to the materials. If you notice any staining, discoloration, moisture, mold, or damages after a rainstorm set up an appointment with us to come out and do an inspection. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800 and we would love to come out and assist you with any damages you may have.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista water damage. Call now at (310) 822-7800
The rainstorms are gone and the sun is now shining! Summer is officially here! Although the rain has gone, do not let your worries for water damages go with it. With this heat rising upon us, the use for the air conditioner has increased. SERVPRO of Mar Vista is here to remind you to not forget to change your air conditioner’s filter. The air filter is important to the smooth and proper function of an AC. The air filter’s purpose is to collect any dust or debris from the air pulling from the outside. With the buildup on a filter or just not having a filter within your AC system, can cause the drainpipe to clog. With the drainpipe being clogged it can cause the condensate water pan to overflow instead of draining the water through the pipeline to the outside. A dirty filter will also cause ice to form around the unit’s evaporator coils. The ice will then melt, causing water to drip from the AC. Water damages, such as your ceiling caving-in or even water puddles around your basement floor, will occur. At that point, even mold and mildew can grow within the unit due to the continual presence of water. So just a few tips, a single occupant with no pets should change their filter every 6 to 12 months. An average suburban home with no pets would be every 90 days. If you do have pets, you would want to make 60 days your mark. As for those with multiple pets and anyone with allergies, you would want to change your filter every 20 to 45 days. Remember, here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista our goal is to create a strong, healthy, and safe community. Our friendly staff is always ready to assist you 24/7. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista mold inspection. Call us today at (310) 822-7800.
Did you know that there are multiple, hundreds and thousands of mold spores floating around outdoors? Knowing the dangers of mold, it is quite frightening thinking about it. What is more of a concern would be finding mold inside your own home. Mold is known to belong to the kingdom of fungi. It can appear to be plant like but cannot create its own food. It absorbs its nutrients from other organic substances. Mold can simply generate with water and something living – or even once living, like wood. Invitations of mold to your own home would consist of poor ventilation, moisture and water damages in which was not assisted immediately. In many areas of your home that water vapor happens to occur, you want to be sure that you have a source of ventilation within that area. The consistent moisture and humidity will eventually cause mold. This is another reason to report any serious water damages right away. You might be able to clean the visible mess but sometimes the affected areas cannot be seen. SERVPRO of Mar Vista is here for you 365 day 24/7. If you have any questions or concerns due to recent water loss or any visible mold, do not hesitate to call us at (310) 822-7800. Our team will be here ready to help.
Ways to Protect Your Home Against Flooding
SERVPRO of Mar Vista water extraction. Call now at (310) 822-7800
Home flooding can happen anywhere and at any time. According to FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency) floods are the most common and most expensive natural disasters in the U.S and no state or territory is safe. Here are some ways to help prevent floods in your homes and businesses.
Fix leaks immediately.
- When it’s time to replace the roof, spend a few hundred dollars to more to install a rubber roof underlayment, a waterproof barrier that goes under the shingles and protects the roof from water interference.
- Safeguard in home electrical and climate systems. Raise switches, sockets and circuit breakers and writing at least a foot above the expected flood in your level in your area.
- Raise outdoor equipment. All fuel tanks, air-conditioning units, and generators should be raised above flood level.
- Close foundation cracks.
- Clear gutters and drains.
- Invest in a battery powered sump pump.
- Move expensive items to a safer location.
- Prevent sewer backup.
- Install French drains.
Exhaust Fan Tips!
SERVPRO of Mar Vista fire clean up. Call today at (310) 822-7800
It is known that mold found in a bathroom, can at times be caused by poor ventilation. Taking consistent hot showers can cause damped walls. To avoid the growth of mold in the bathroom you want to be sure to properly let it air out after a shower. In which case, some bathrooms do not always have windows. This is where an exhaust fan comes handy. It helps prevent steamed up mirrors and of course damped walls. The exhaust fan does its part to prevent mold, although, they can also present a potential fire hazard if not cleaned and maintained on a regular basis. In some cases, an exhaust fan is thermally protected, allowing it to shut off when it begins to overheat. With precautious measures, you should still clean your exhaust fan twice a year. With the buildup of lint, the motor of the fan can overheat and ignite the lint itself, the plastic blades or any wooden structure surrounding the fan. Below are a few tips to help with the prevention of an overheating exhaust fan.
- Clean all bathroom exhaust fans twice a year.
- Clean the exhaust fan by removing the fan cover and removing the lint from around the motor and all air flow areas.
- Wash the cover in warm soaped water to remove lint. If there is any visible mold, you can add some bleach to the cleaning mixture. The cover must be completely dry before putting it back up.
- If not easily accessible, or happen to have evidence of heat damage, the exhaust fan should be replaced with the thermally protected units.
- At times, people forget they are running and leave them on. Exhaust fans should only be used for brief periods of time. Best time to have it on would be during a shower. Turn off all fans once the shower has been completed.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista has recently helped with an unfortunate fire and water loss caused by the exhaust fan. The exhaust fan had gotten stuck and lit a fuse in the wiring causing a slight fire, which then triggered the water sprinkler system. The customer was very worried and concerned about her home and getting someone out there as soon as possible. We made sure to take great care of our customer. We insured them that we were here to help and take the matter into our own hands. With any emergency situation, SERVPRO of Mar Vista will be ready 24/7, 365. Our friendly team will be here, ready to assist you when needed. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.
Are You Ready For an Emergency?
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Emergency Ready Profile (ERP). Call now at (310) 822-7800
What is an ERP and why is it beneficial for my home or business?
Did you know that 50% of business are not able to recover after a loss because they weren’t prepared? Well, let us tell you how an ERP would be beneficial for your home and business.
An ERP is short for Emergency Ready Profile, it is a tool for businesses, property managers and homeowners, both residential and commercial. By creating an ERP with SERVPRO of Mar Vista profile for your home or business, you minimize your business and home loss by having an immediate plan of action in case of a disaster such as mold, fire, water damage and living in California we need to be prepared for natural disasters such as earthquakes. Give SERVPRO of Mar Vista a call today for your ERP free of charge at (310)822-7800!
How to Prevent Dryer Fires
SERVPRO of Mar Vista fire clean up. Call today at (310) 822-7800
Did you know that according to the U.S Fire administration 2,900 home dryer fires are reported each year and cause an estimated 5 deaths, 100 injuries, and $35 million in property loss? The leading cause of home clothes dryer fires is a failure to clean them which causes lint to accumulate and cause a fire. Home fires happen more often during the fall and winter season. Here are some ways to avoid fires within your home:
- Clean the lint screen/filter before or after drying each load of clothes.
- Clean the dryer vent at least once a month to avoid lint accumulation.
- Use metal dryer ducts to help prevent dryer fires.
- No matter the kind of duct is installed in your dryer, make sure to regularly clean it.
- Occasionally wipe the sensor with a rag or cotton ball.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Board Up.
Call now at (310) 822-7800.
Don't wait! Be proactive and call us out to board up your windows before the storm. If you have a damaged window or window seal do not let the storm cause more damage to your home. It is very common for a damaged window or window seal to cause leaks into the house that can cause predicted damages. The two commonly affected areas are walls and flooring. The insulation in the exterior wall is very difficult to dry since it is in a sealed tight environment and it does not get any airflow. This trapped moisture can cause mold growth if it is not treated properly. The water can travel down to the flooring and it can cause the flooring to buckle, swell, or discolor. A simple board up can save your home from thousands of dollars in repairs. Do not wait until it is too late to take care of your home.
Fire Clean Up
SERVPRO of Mar Vista fire clean up. Call today at (310) 822-7800
The potent smell of fire is almost impossible to remove with the typical cleaning products. This is not an easy DIY. Here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista, we have cleaning products and equipment that will take the smell out of almost all affected materials.
Cleaning up a fire job is not impossible if you have the right team. SERVPRO of Mar Vista practices these 3 steps in all fire clean up jobs to ensure the job is done perfectly.
Step 1: Do a heavy wipe down of the structure that will remove the soot and a majority of the odor. We will perform a heavy carpet cleaning to ensure that the carpet does not hold any odor.
Step 2: Clean all salvageable contents with our special products. Not all contents can be salvageable after a fire. However, a heavy wipe down can save most of the non-pores materials.
Step 3: The last step would be to remove any odor that may still be present. Here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista, we have equipment that will decrease the odor significantly and make it "Like it never even happened."
Prevent Water Damages to Your Home When Your on Vacation
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Water Damage. Call now at (310) 822-7800
If you are going on vacation it can be a good practice to follow these steps to make sure that your home is safe while you are laying out in the sun. We have gotten many jobs from families returning home from vacation only to find their entire home to be damaged and filled with mold. The problem can be stopped with a few easy steps.
Turn off the main water valve
- Turning off your main water line is an easy step that can go a long way. When the main water valve is shut no water can go into your home and cause a water intrusion.
Check the supply lines
- check all your supply lines and make sure that nothing is leaking. There is nothing worse than a water loss that could have been prevented with just a few minutes of inspecting your home.
Put your friend to work
- If you are expecting to be gone for a long period of time have a friend stop by to check on your home.
Different Water Damage Categories
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Water Damage. Call today at (310) 822-7800
- Category 1 Water – That which is clean at the releasing source and does not pose a hazard if consumed by humans. Category 1 water may become progressively contaminated as it mixes with soils on or within floor coverings or building assemblies (walls, decking, and sub-flooring). Time and temperature, which promote the growth and amplification of microorganisms in water can cause Category 1 water to degrade. Examples: burst water pipes, failed supply lines on appliances, vertically falling rainwater.
- Category 2 Water – That which begins with some degree of contamination and could cause sickness or discomfort if consumed by humans. As with Category 1 water, time and temperature can cause Category 2 water to become progressively more contaminated.
- Category 3 Water – That which is highly contaminated and could cause death or serious illness if consumed by humans. Examples: sewage, rising flood water from rivers and streams, ground surface water flowing horizontally into homes. There are two ways in which water enters a building as a result of wind storm damage.
What to do During a Fire
SERVPRO of Mar Vista fire clean up. Call today at (310) 822-7800
Fires happen daily throughout the country and unfortunately, not a lot of people have plans or proper escape plans. Here is a proper safety plan during a fire.
- Crawl low under any smoke to your exit. Heavy smoke and poisonous gases collect first along with the ceiling.
- When the smoke alarm sounds, start moving to the nearest exit.
- If the primary way is blocked by fire or smoke, you will need a second way out. A second route might be a window onto a roof or a ladder for escape from upper story windows.
- If there is smoke blocking your door or first way out, use your second way out.
- Before opening a door feel the doorknob and door.
- If your clothes catch fire, stop, drop, and roll, stop immediately, drop to the ground, and cover your face with your hands. Roll over or back and forth until the fire is out. If you or someone else cannot stop, drop, and roll, use a blanket or towel and try to lower the flames. Use cool water to treat the burn for 3 to 5 minutes. Cover with a clean, dry cloth and get medical help right away by calling 911 or the fire department.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Mold Remediation. Call now at (310) 822-7800.
One of the most common places for mold growth is down in the crawlspace. Crawlspaces are one of the least visible areas of your home, but that does not mean that everything is fine down there. Just because it is out of sight does not mean it should be out of your mind. If you might have water damage inside of your home, the water typically seeps down into the crawlspace and can expose the sub-floor, beams, and the insulation to moisture. With the heat and humidity of the crawlspace, this forms a perfect environment for mold to grow. You can prevent mold growth in your crawlspace by calling us out and making sure that your crawlspace has been properly mitigated of all moisture. If you already have mold, our crew is ready to remediate the mold for you in no time. You can save your home from a lot of secondary damages if it has been treated properly. Do not wait until it is too late and give us a call at (310) 822-7800.
Introducing You to Our Equipment
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Equipment. Call now at (310) 822-7800
Our water extractor is used to extract standing water. The extractor helps us greatly with removing out the water from solid surfaces which allows it to dry properly. This technique pulls out most of the water which can save the carpet from secondary damages and delamination.
This dehumidifier pulls out the moisture from the air and the affected materials and allows them to dry out. Our dehumidifiers have successfully dried out countless amounts of affected materials and have saved the homeowners and insurance companies thousands of dollars.
Similar to a dehumidifier, the desiccant takes in the air that contains moisture, dries the air, and puts back the drier air into the affected area. A desiccant is great to use in hard to dry areas like crawlspaces.
The air movers are commonly used to circulate the moisture particles in the room for the dehumidifier to take in. The air movers also help the dehumidifiers dry out the affected materials.
The air scrubber pulls in the air and filters some of mold spores, odor, debris, dust, and other airborne particles.
Floor Mat System:
The floor mat system is used to dry out hardwood flooring. We have not only saved flooring from buckling but also saved floors that already showed signs of slight damages.
Earthquake in a Commercial Building
SERVPRO of Mar Vista Commercial Clean Up. Call now at (310) 822-7800
Make a supply kit
- Make a supply kit that has food, water, first aid kid, batteries, flashlight, and a fire extinguisher.
- Secure the items that are hanging on the walls and ceiling to reduce falling objects that may lead into injuries.
- Have training sessions on what to do in case of an earthquake. Have a game plan and practice it.
Drop, Cover, and Hold On.
- Drop down to the floor. Hide under a surface that can protect your body. Hold on to the object as if your life depends on it.
Do NOT use the elevator.
- During an earthquake the elevator can apply its emergency breaks.
Stay inside until the shaking has stopped
- Running outside during an earthquake can be dangerous. Running during an earthquake increases the chances of falling objects that can cause you more harm.
Check your injuries
- Examine your body thoroughly to ensure that you have no injuries. Make it a priority to seek medical attention as soon as possible. Do not take your injuries lightly.
- Avoid going into any building that appears to be damaged.
- If the building you are in is damaged, leave the building and move away from it.
Storm Event: Woolsey Fire
SERVPRO of Mar Vista fire clean up (310) 822-7800.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista is honored to announce that we have joined the SERVPRO storm team, which will allow us to help you with your fire clean up. There have been 57,000 structures affected by this tragic catastrophe. We will be walking each and everyone one of you, step by step through the process of restoring your home. If you have noticed that your home has soot and/or odor, we will be able to perform a deep cleaning of the interior and exterior of your home as well as any contents. SERVPRO of Mar Vista has the knowledge, experience, and equipment to help restore your home. We work closely with your insurance and take care of any questions or concerns you may have. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800 and we will be happy to help you 24/7. Our thoughts and prayers are with those who have been affected by the Woolsey Fire.
New Year, New Tips!
With the ball drop being right around the corner, this is a great time to learn more tips and tricks to practice throughout the year to prevent damages to your home.
-Cook with caution and never leave any turned-on stoves unattended.
-Have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen
-Clean out your dryer vent often and remove any lint after each load. This will also help your clothes dry faster!
-Hire an inspector. This will ensure that your house has a lower chance of catching on fire. You might save a lot of money and time by taking safety precautions.
Bursting Frozen pipes
-Always keep the heat on even if you are on vacation. Leaving your thermostat around 50 degrees Fahrenheit can prevent your pipes from freezing.
-Leave cabinet doors open to allow warm air to reach the pipes.
-Allow your faucet to drip a little during cold days to release the pressure.
-Dry out a wet area properly. If the damaged area is too large or in areas that cannot be easily accessible, you can find a professional to mitigate the damaged area.
-Add a dehumidifier to your house to remove extra moisture.
-As soon as you have found mold, call a professional to remediate the mold.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista can assist you with any of these damages. It is best to call a professional as soon as possible, to prevent the damage from increasing.
Be Ahead of the Game!
SERVPRO of Mar Vista
If in the event of having water damage in your home and it consists of clean water, there are few steps you can take to help with the start of the drying process.
- If safe, turn off the circuit breaker. If the standing water is over the electrical sockets on the floors or walls, do not touch the water. Once the power is off, unplug all electronics to avoid shock.
- Stop the water source. Locate where the cause of water damage is and try to stop or minimize the flow. If the leak is caused by a broken pipe, you will have to contact a plumber beforehand.
- Once you have stopped the water source, you will then want to contact SERVPRO of Mar Vista and your insurance company. If the damage by water is large you will, you will, of course, want to call as soon as you can.
- To help with the process of the claim, you can take pictures of the damages right away. Starting with the cause of loss and any areas or items that have been affected.
- While SERVPRO makes their way over, you can help by removing any light items or furniture from the affected area so that the technicians can have a faster start of cleaning and drying the area.
- To help decrease the amount of water, you can attempt to dry the flooring by mopping or blotting until the professionals arrive.
With any emergency situation, SERVPRO of Mar Vista will be ready 24/7, 365. Our friendly team will be here, ready to assist you when needed. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.
Saving Earth One Step at a Time
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. Repeat.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista is continuing the celebration of making Earth Day every day, by providing more tips to save energy! Reducing the use of energy helps keep more resources on Earth longer! It’s always nice to save a few bucks when given the chance. Washing your clothes in cold water can cost 5 to 10 times less than using warmer settings on your washer. Also, remember to clean out the lint trap in your dryer after drying your clothes. As lint builds up, your dryer's motor will run longer per load. Not only does the lint build up waste more energy, but it can also build up and lead to a potential fire hazard. Here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista, our goal is to create a strong, healthy, and safe community. Our friendly staff is always ready to assist you 24/7. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800!
Make Every Day Earth Day
Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. Repeat.
SERVPRO of Mar Vista is celebrating the month of April by providing some helpful reminders and tips for Earth Day! By reducing the use of energy, it helps us keep more resources on Earth longer. Hotter days are coming, and of course, we want to be able to keep cool at home. To help keep a cooler house, using less energy, keep the window shades closed where the light comes in the most. If you are using your AC, remember not to have it running all day. If possible, have it set on a timer and maintain your home at 80 degrees, when you are at work or even on vacation. Remember to close all doors and windows when AC is in use because letting that cool air escape would be a waste! Putting these easy tips into practice not only helps with saving energy, but it helps regulate humidity levels. Humidity can create condensation which can eventually lead to mold. Here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista, we want to create a strong and healthy community. Our friendly team is ready to help you 24/7 should you ever need any of our assistance, give us a call at (310)822-7800.