Recent Posts

Mold Tips

6/30/2017 (Permalink)

Mold Remediation Mold Tips Mold Remediation here at SERVPRO Mar Vista

Did you know that there are multiple, hundreds and thousands of mold spores floating around outdoors? Knowing the dangers of mold, it is quite frightening thinking about it. What is more of a concern would be finding mold inside your own home. Mold is known to belong to the kingdom of fungi. It can appear to be plant like, but cannot create its own food. It absorbs its nutrients from other organic substances. Mold can simply generate with water and something living – or even once living, like wood. Invitations of mold to your own home would consist of poor ventilation, moisture and water damages in which was not addressed immediately. In any areas of your home that water vapor happens to occur, you want to be sure that you have a source of ventilation within that area. The consistent moisture and humidity will eventually cause mold. This is another reason to report any serious water damages right away. You might be able to clean the visible mess but sometimes the affected areas cannot be seen. SERVPRO Mar Vista is here for you 365 days a year, 24/7. If you have any questions or concerns due to recent water loss or any visible mold, do not hesitate to call us at (310) 822-7800. Our team will be here ready to help.

Summer Time

6/30/2017 (Permalink)

The rain storms are gone and the sun is now shinning! Summer is officially here! Although the rain has gone, do not let your worries for water damages go with it. With this heat rising upon us, the use for the air conditioner has increased. SERVPRO of Mar Vista is here to remind you to not forget to change your air conditioner’s filter. The air filter is important to the smooth and proper function of an AC. The air filter’s purpose is to collect any dust or debris from the air pulling from the outside. With the buildup on a filter or just not having a filter within your AC system, can cause the drainpipe to clog. With the drainpipe being clogged it can cause the condensate water pan to overflow instead of draining the water through the pipeline to the outside. A dirty filter will also cause ice to form around the unit’s evaporator coils. The ice will then melt, causing water to drip from the AC. Water damages, such as your ceiling caving-in or even water puddles around your basement floor, will occur. At that point, even mold and mildew can grow within the unit due to the continual presence of water. So just a few tips, a single occupant with no pets should change their filter every 6 to 12 months. An average suburban home with no pets would be every 90 days. If you do have pets, you would want to make 60 days your mark. As for those with multiple pets and anyone with allergies, you would want to change your filter ever 20 to 45 days. Remember, here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista our goal is to create a strong, healthy, and safe community. Our friendly staff is always ready to assist you 24/7. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800.

Saving Earth One Step at a Time

4/11/2017 (Permalink)

Community Saving Earth One Step at a Time Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. Repeat.

SERVPRO of Mar Vista is continuing the celebration of making Earth Day every day, by providing more tips to save energy! Reducing the use of energy, helps keep more resources on Earth longer! It’s always nice to save a few bucks when given the chance. Washing your clothes in cold water can cost 5 to 10 times less than using warmer settings on your washer. Also remember to clean out the lint trap in your dryer after drying your clothes. As lint builds up, your dryers motor will run longer per load. Not only does the lint build up waste more energy, it can build up and lead to a potential fire hazard. Here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista, our goal is to create a strong, healthy, and safe community. Our friendly staff is always ready to assist you 24/7. Give us a call at (310) 822-7800!

Make Every Day Earth Day

4/10/2017 (Permalink)

Community Make Every Day Earth Day Reduce. Reuse. Recycle. Repeat.

SERVPRO of Mar Vista is celebrating the month of April by providing some helpful reminders and tips for Earth Day! By reducing the use of energy, it helps us keep more resources on Earth longer. Hotter days are coming, and of course, we want to be able to keep cool at home. To help keep a cooler house, using less energy, keep the window shades closed where the light comes in the most. If you are using your AC, remember not to have it running all day. If possible, have it set on a timer and maintain your home at 80 degrees, when you are at work or even on vacation. Remember to close all doors and windows when AC is in use, because letting that cool air escape would be a waste! Putting these easy tips into practice not only helps with saving energy, but it helps regulate humidity levels. Humidity can create condensation which can eventually lead to mold. Here at SERVPRO of Mar Vista, we want to create a strong and healthy community. Our friendly team is ready to help you 24/7 should you ever need any of our assistance, give us a call at (310)822-7800.

Fire Caused By Dryer

12/6/2016 (Permalink)

Fire Damage Fire Caused By Dryer Laundry Room Fire Caused By Dryer.

Many people would be shocked to find out that this fire was caused by lint buildup in a clothes dryer. Believe it or not, clothes dryers caused 2,900 fires last year and over $35 million dollars in property loss. But of course, everyone wants their clothes dried as fast as possible and statistics are the last thing we want to think of when doing laundry! Fortunately... Fire prevention, in regards to dryers, is a pretty simple task, and hey it might even speed up laundry duty. As a good practice you should clean your dryers exhaust once every 3 months. However, if you feel that clothes are taking longer to dry and your dryer is not giving off as much heat as it used to, this might be an indicator that the exhaust is beginning to clog. 

Luckily, the homeowner called SERVPRO of Mar Vista and we jumped on the restoration and cleanup right away. We are your one stop shop, and take our job very seriously. Our staff treats every house like its their own, and is here to support you every single step of the way. From inspecting your home, to packing out your contents, cleaning up fire and soot, and finally deodorizing, we can handle it all! If you ever have any questions or concerns, it's better to be safe than sorry! Give our friendly staff a call at (310) 822-7800 and they would be more than happy to assist you!